Um, no. I’m more like one of those people who’s like, “Did you hear? What today is? MY BIRTHDAY. Uh huh uh huh yes HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.” The bigger the celebration, the better. I’ve basically been asking for a surprise birthday party for all 25 years of my life. So…someone figure that out in the next 364 days. I’ll try to forget that I asked for it.
In light of this birthday obsession, it’s really only fitting that I make my own birthday cookies stuffed with M&Ms and rainbow sprinkles, right?
Additionally, in honor of turning 25 today, I’ve decided to share:
25 Things You
Probably Don’t Need to Should Know About Me.
- I keep snacks with me at all times because if I don’t know when the next time I’ll have access to food is, I’ll have a mental breakdown. You don’t know! It could be days!!
- I swear by LipSmacker’s Dr. Pepper chapstick. NOTHING compares.
- My and Mike’s parents got married on the same date – year and all! It’s pretty much the only reason we’re still dating. (KIDDING, kidding. We like at least 2 things about each other).
- I have kitchen OCD. Dirty pot in the sink? You better believe I’m losing sleep over it. (This does not bode well for our new dishwasher-less apartment).
- I can’t sleep unless my room is freeeeeezing. Like, 60 degrees or less. Cold nose, cold cheeks, snuggled under a down comforter, pleaseandthanks.
- I took dance classes until 6th grade, at which point I forgot my solo in the middle of the recital, realized I have about as much rhythm as an elephant, and said SEEYA!
- If I had to pick one kind of food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be – without a doubt, forever and ever – PIZZA. Or maybe s’mores.
- I named my younger brother, Peter. I told my parents (before he was born), “I’m going to have a little brother and you’re going to name him Peter!”
- I might be psychic.
- But really. Sometimes I just think about a song while my iPod is on shuffle and it comes on next.
- 25 things is a lot of things so I’ll keep the next few short:
- Rainbow sprinkles.
- My first blog post. (I cannot believe I’m showing you this. OH, the places you’ll go!)
- Until the age of
810, I legitimately thought “pillow” was pronounced “pellow”. WHY DIDN’T ANYONE EVER CORRECT ME ON THIS????? For TEN YEARS????
- I have a scar on my forehead from the time my brother threw a rock at me. Accidentally? On purpose? Unclear.
- I’ve had pinkeye every year since I was a freshman in college. Until this year. When I became allergic to my contacts.
- I love talking about #2 (not the item on this list, the bodily function. Obv.) and I select my friends based on who’s comfortable with this topic. Overshare don’t care!
- I can (and do) convince myself I have pretty much any rare disease. Last month I had a painful bump on the back of my head and the ONLY possible explanation was an Amazonian spider had laid its eggs in there. Am I getting TMI in these last few items???
- I started out as an animal science major in college until they made me clean up cow poop and I said, SEEYA!
- I am still 100% sure the girl from The Sixth Sense lives under my bed, so when I go to bed at night I leap in from at least 4 feet away so she can’t grab me.
- One time in middle school I had a pet hermit crab for a week until it crawled out of its shell and died. DO NOT google “hermit crab without shell”.
- I consider solo dance parties in my room to be a legitimate form of exercise.
- My totally non-aggressive date to the 8th grade formal broke Mike’s arm in a hockey game, like, 6 years before we ever met. #starcrossedlovers
I hope you feel like you know me better. Fascinating life I’ve got goin’ on over here
But let’s get back to these cookies! Made with browned butter and brown sugar and lots of vanilla, they’re not-too-sweet (just how I like ‘em!) and chewy and crispy. Happy birthday to me, inDEED.
Birthday Confetti Cookies
yield: ~40 cookies, depending on size
- 1 cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mini M&Ms
- 1/2 cup rainbow jimmies
- In a large pan, melt the butter on medium-high until it starts to brown (it’ll bubble and become darker in color, but be careful not to let it burn!) Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- When the butter has cooled, pour it into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and add the sugars. Beat on high until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and add the egg and vanilla; beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture and stir until almost combined. Add the M&Ms and sprinkles and mix on low until fully combined. Roll the dough into 2-inch balls (or smaller, if you’d like) and bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are just golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!